Friday 17 April 2015

Frame overhang issues

I've seen a lot of posts on the forums about frame overhang, where the frame overhangs the slab by an amount, sometimes in excess of the building standards.

A lot of the owners are getting very upset by this.

We had one location where this happened to us (the front corner of the study).

A small amount of overhang.
I asked our independent inspector about it: "Should I be concerned?".

His answer was interesting, not quite what I expected, so I thought I'd share it here, hopefully to alleviate some stress and anxiety of owners.

Even if it is not to standard, even if it should proceed to VCAT/legal action, essentially what it boils down too, is this: will it functionally work?

Quite unexpectedly, pragmatism wins!

In the case above, I'd suggest that the overhang does not functionally impare the overall functional requirements of the frame. The inspector was not worried about it. No rectification was performed.

So hopefully, this real world example provides some information that helps ease any stress and anxiety that other owners many find themselves facing, should they experience a similar situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment